Lunenburg is a town in Canada’s province of Nova Scotia. It is on the south shore of the province. The settlement was started in 1753. It was one of the first attempts by the British to bring Protestants to Nova Scotia. Old Town Lunenburg was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1995.
Old Town Lunenburg
Lunenburg, which was founded in 1749, is the best example of a planned British colonial settlement that has lived on in North America. It was built in 1753, and its general layout and appearance haven’t changed much since then. It is based on a pattern of squares and rectangles that was made in the country of origin.
Lunenburg Nova Scotia
Over the course of several hundred years, the people of the town have kept the traditional wooden architecture of their homes and public buildings. This has helped the town keep its own character. Some of the buildings are from the 18th century and are great examples of a style of architecture called “vernacular” that has been kept alive over time. Its economy has always been based on fishing in the open ocean of the Atlantic, but the future of this business is not clear at the moment.
Old Town Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada
Lunenburg is a town in the southern part of Nova Scotia, Canada. It is the county seat of Lunenburg County. It is in Lunenburg Bay, which is an entrance to the Atlantic Ocean and about 92 kilometers (57 miles) west-southwest of Halifax. Lunenburg is also called “the county seat of Lunenburg County.”
In the place where the town is now, there used to be an Indian village called Malliggeak or Merliguesche (Milky Bay), and later a French fishing community moved in. In 1656, Oliver Cromwell, who was Lord Protector of England, gave the land to Charles de Saint-Étienne de La Tour, who was in charge of Acadia.
But there was no permanent settlement on the land until the early 1750s, when people from Lüneburg, Germany, and Switzerland came to live there. During the American Revolution, an American navy that was based in Boston destroyed the town of Lunenburg. Since then, it has grown into a big fishing port.
It was the home port of the Bluenose, which was unbeaten in the North Atlantic Fishing Fleet and won several international schooner races between 1921 and 1946. The Bluenose sank on a reef off the coast of Haiti in 1946. It is shown on the front of the Canadian dime, and its championship trophies are kept at the Lunenburg Fisheries Museum.
Along with fishing and processing fish, shipbuilding (wooden trawlers, small boats, marine motors, sails) and market gardening are two of the most important ways to make money. Both the annual Nova Scotia Fisheries Exhibition and the annual Fishermen’s Reunion take place in September in Lunenburg.
The Anglican St. John’s Church was built in 1754, and the Lutheran Zion Church was built in 1776. In 1758, the bell in Zion was brought from Cape Breton Island’s Fort Louisburg. Both of these churches are old and have a lot of history.